CAMILLE SAINT-SAËNS Signed autograph letter (December 1880), thanking a friend for a present “which diminishes my remorse a little.” Written just as Saint-Saens marriage was breaking up Autograph Letter signed: “C. Saint-Saens”, 2p, 5¼x7, conjoined. No place, 1880 December 15. In French, translated in full: “My dear friend,/ You can have no doubt of my friendship for you and of the pleasure you give me in sending me something which diminishes my remorse a little. I have a thousand things to do and don’t know how to get out of them. Excuse me, and believe me to be your very devoted and affectionate friend”. Camille Saint-Saens (1835-1921) was a French composer, organist, pianist and conductor who began to learn the piano at age two. Renowned for his adherence to harmony, form and musical craftsmanship, his most famous works include the symphonic poem Danse Macabre (1873) and the comic symphony Carnival of the Animals (1886). He is also known for the opera Samson and Delilah (1877), and the Second Cello Concerto (1902). Saint-Saens is one of the most prolific and revered composers in the history of France. This letter was written just as his short and unhappy marriage was ending. In 1875, Saint-Saens married Marie-Laure Truffot, a woman half his age. They had two children, both of whom died in 1878 (one of an illness, the other from falling out of a window). Saint-Saens blamed his wife for these deaths. Three years later, he left his wife and, though there was no formal divorce, never saw her again. Horizontal fold crease. Corners lightly creased and soiled. Otherwise, fine condition. – Please contact us if you have any questions or require additional information. DOCUMENT 102563
- Makes a memorable one-of-a-kind gift or unique centerpiece for your home or office!
- Use the Amazon “Make an Offer” option and get a quick response today!
- UACC registered dealer #RD110 and long-standing member of the Manuscript Society – In business since 1981.
- We only sell 100% authentic autographs & manuscripts and every purchase is backed by a certificate of authenticity recognized by every major insurance company around the world – Buy with confidence!
- We are here to answer any questions you may have regarding this or any other piece. We have an outstanding reputation for the thoroughness of our research, for our business integrity and for our service to our clients.