GEORGE CUKOR, AVA GARDNER, STEWART GRANGER and BILL TRAVERS The director and several of the actors and actresses who appeared in his pictures sign this slip of paper in various inks Signatures: “George Cukor”, “Ava Gardner”, “Best wishes/ Stewart Granger” and “All best wishes/ Bill Travers” in various inks, 7½x4½. GEORGE CUKOR (1899-1983), who directed Hollywood films for half a century, won the Best Director Academy Award in 1965 for My Fair Lady (1964) and was nominated for Best Director Oscars for Little Women (1932-1933), The Philadelphia Story (1940), A Double Life (1947), and Born Yesterday (1950). Cukor, whose long list of films also includes A Bill of Divorcement (1932, Katharine Hepburn’s first film), Dinner at Eight (1933), David Copperfield (1935), Romeo and Juliet (1936), The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), Adam’s Rib (1949), Pat and Mike (1952), Heller in Pink Tights (1960) and A Star is Born (1954) and two made-for-TV films, directed each of his fellow signers at least once. Actress AVA GARDNER (1922-1990) was cast by Cukor in his 1956 film, Bhowani Junction. She earned an Oscar nomination for Mogambo (1953). Among the other notable movies in which she had starring roles are the following: The Barefoot Contessa (1954), Bhowani Junction (1956), and Night of the Iguana (1964). She could also carry a tune, as she did in Showboat (1951) and other musicals. Gardner was married three times: first to Mickey Rooney, and then to Artie Shaw. Her last husband was Frank Sinatra, whom she divorced in 1957. British actor STEWART GRANGER (1913-1993), who was born James Stewart but changed his name to avoid confusion with the Hollywood actor of the same name, was a top romantic leading man in Britain (along with James Mason). However, when he came to Hollywood, he was usually cast as a rugged “he-man”. Granger, who appeared in Cukor’s The Prisoner of Zenda (1952)… More information available. Please contact us if you have questions. DOCUMENT 46596
- Makes a memorable one-of-a-kind gift or unique centerpiece for your home or office!
- Use the Amazon “Make an Offer” option and get a quick response today!
- UACC registered dealer #RD110 and long-standing member of the Manuscript Society – In business since 1981.
- We only sell 100% authentic autographs & manuscripts and every purchase is backed by a certificate of authenticity recognized by every major insurance company around the world – Buy with confidence!
- We are here to answer any questions you may have regarding this or any other piece. We have an outstanding reputation for the thoroughness of our research, for our business integrity and for our service to our clients.